Swedish prosecutor drops rape probe into WikiLeaks’ Assange

STOCKHOLM (AP) — Sweden’s top prosecutor said Friday she’s dropping an investigation into a rape claim against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange after almost seven years because there’s no possibility of arresting him “in the foreseeable future.”

The announcement means the outspoken WikiLeaks leader no longer faces sex crime allegations in Sweden, although British police say he is still wanted for jumping bail in Britain in 2012.

Friday was the deadline for the Swedish prosecution to send a request to Stockholm District Court in the Assange case.

Assange, 45, took refuge in Ecuador’s embassy in London in 2012 to escape extradition to Sweden to answer questions about sex-crime allegations from two women. He has been there ever since, fearing that if he was in custody he might ultimately be extradited to the United States for his role at the helm of WikiLeaks, which has published tens of thousands of leaked classified U.S. government documents.

“This is a total victory for Julian Assange. He is now free to leave the embassy when he wants. We have won the Assange case. He is of course happy and relieved. He has been critical that it has lasted that long,” Per E. Samuelsson, his lawyer in Sweden, told Swedish Radio.

It is not known if U.S. officials are seeking Assange’s arrest because of a possible sealed indictment. Last month President Donald Trump said he would support any decision by the Justice Department to charge Assange.

The Swedish Prosecution Authority said Friday that chief Marianne Ny “has decided to discontinue the investigation.” Ny said she will call back the European arrest warrant on Assange.

Ny told reporters that the WikiLeaks founder had “tried to dodge all attempts at arrest” by British and Swedish authorities. She said prosecutors had been unable to make a full assessment of the case and were not making a finding on whether Assange was guilty of the allegations.

She said the case could be reopened if Assange returns to Sweden before the statute of limitations expires in 2020.

Prosecutors frustrated by Assange’s refusal to return to Sweden for questioning eventually came to London to meet with him at the Ecuadorean Embassy.

WikiLeaks tweeted after the Swedish announcement: “UK refuses to confirm or deny whether it has already received a US extradition warrant for Julian Assange. Focus now moves to UK.”

Samuelsson, the lawyer in Sweden, told Swedish Radio he had been in touch with Assange via text message and the Australian had written, “Serious, Oh My God.”

British police said despite Sweden’s decision to drop a rape investigation, Assange still faces arrest if he leaves Ecuador’s embassy in London.

The Metropolitan Police says there is a British warrant for Assange’s arrest after he jumped bail in 2012, and the force “is obliged to execute that warrant should he leave the embassy.”

But it adds that Assange is now wanted for a “much less serious offense” than the original sex crimes claims, and police “will provide a level of resourcing which is proportionate to that offense.”

British police kept up round-the-clock guard outside the embassy until December 2015, when the operation was scaled back, in part because of the cost, which had exceeded 11 million pounds (over $17.5 million at the time).

___

Katz reported from London. Jill Lawless in London and Jan M. Olsen in Copenhagen, Denmark, contributed to this story.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/swedish-prosecutor-drops-rape-probe-into-wikileaks-assange/


Advertisements

About ror1774

This Blog is for modern day Patriots who want to Reclaim Our Republic and put it on the right path with a foundation of our Constitution and our Creator God.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Swedish prosecutor drops rape probe into WikiLeaks’ Assange

  1. hocuspocus13 says:

    So here’s the latest I read today and I must say it was news to me

    Remember Monica Lewinsky

    Yeah…me2

    She just filed a $40 million law suit against the Clinton’s

    After she was outed years ago with Slick Willie Monica was photographed with a little boy that she said was her nephew

    I vaguely remember that 🤔

    Well…as it turns out that little boy was actually her son

    Fathered by none other than Bill Clinton

    The Clinton’s have been paying Monica well with hush money

    But the money flow has stopped

    So she filed a law suit

    Like

    • ror1774 says:

      Very interesting. I had heard this. Certainly not surprised…I’ll look further…Thanks for the info

      Like

      • hocuspocus13 says:

        Yes…it seems the Clinton’s did not have a very good day today

        Requests to reopen the

        Hillary Clinton email Scandal

        I believe an email was sent from the Hillary Campaign to the DOJ about letting Hillary off the hook

        In which Comey received but ignored

        It always seems to be the people with the most to hide are the biggest offenders of criticizing everyone else

        Like

      • ror1774 says:

        The biggest offenders try to deflect and project onto others. Arsonists are famous for that…they set the fire..then want to be a hero, they often watch the fire burn.

        Thank you for adding the info about the request…I believe it will be reopened.

        Like

  2. Brittius says:

    Reblogged this on Brittius.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s